Thursday, April 23, 2015

Assessment Task 1A

Reflecting on my learning journey, it took some time for me to understand the implications for ‘design’ learning in the 21st century. When working through the stages of this design challenge, I was faced with several issues that needed to be addressed to encourage sustainable patterns of living, and contribute to preferred futures for students and the broader community. As this was the overarching focus of the design challenge, Sustainability, and other core concepts introduced throughout course material, were integral to the practical and pedagogical approach I used for this project. Following the design cycle process, I was able to implement various eco-design strategies in the manufacturing of my product to encourage sustainable practices in my Grade five class.  This cycle incorporated four main developmental phases of learning: Investigation, Ideation, Production, and Evaluation.

In the Investigation phase, it took me awhile to decide on what kind of design project to construct, as I had difficulty identifying an environmental issue that I wanted to address. The week two course material was useful in this respect. From these resources I also learnt that to implement the Investigation phase in my class, visual literacies like concept maps are very effective as they encourage students to research, gather and analyse information. To reinforce this, in my design challenge, students will be placed into pairs to investigate alternative power sources that are more eco-friendly. This is supported by the Australian Curriculum (2015) which states that students should “independently and collaboratively develop solutions to complex challenges". As the effectiveness of this pedagogical approach depends on the age of learners, I chose a design task based on solar cooking methods, as it would extend the learning of my grade five students in environmentally friendly energy sources and sustainable practice.

The Ideation phase presented many difficult challenges to the overall design of my product. Firstly, as seen my Wikipage, I had to plan out several alterations of my solar oven design; all of which needed to be based on the design specification and needs analysis research I conducted during the Investigation phase. This was challenging, as there were many constraints raised in these documents that needed to be cross-analysed in order to determine a final design. As seen on my Wiki page, size, cost, ease of construction, ease of access, and durability of designs were all variables involved in this decision-making process. To encourage decision-making and higher order thinking with my grade five class, the course material for this week emphasizes the importance of integrating digital technologies in pedagogical practice. As I explain in my week three blog, social networking tools are an effective way to encourage collaboration and critical thinking in student feedback processes. On this note, peer assessment also had many learning benefits to my own design planning, as it gave a fresh perspective on the design challenge and my approach to promoting sustainable practice. This can be seen in my Wiki page.

During the Production phase of the design cycle, numerous challenges were introduced, as the manufacturing constraints and risks identified in the Ideation phase came to life. For this reason, the risk assessment I conducted in my Wiki page was crucial. Honestly, I found this task difficult to complete, as I had no previous experience completing this form. In reflection, this emphasised my need to improve my professional development in this area. During the making stage of the solar ovens, students are also encouraged to refine these skills, as they are independently responsible for managing risks and constraints, their partner, materials and the opportunities their product has in promoting sustainable practice. This area of learning is strongly supported in the course learning material; providing several eco-design strategies that enhance the environmentally-friendly features of my product. In relation to my pedagogy, the readings also taught me the importance of ‘life cycle thinking’ and its contribution to sustainable practice.

To carry out the Evaluation phase of the design cycle, my peer assessor and I exchanged an evaluation of our marketed products in the form of a feedback table located on our Wikipage. I enjoyed this process, as it allowed me to use my newly acquired knowledge on design learning to critically analyse the manufacturing processes and eco-design strategies of a different project; thus determining its marketability. To encourage evaluation in my grade five class, students will be given the opportunity to trial and display their own solar ovens. The results revealed in this study would then be tested by students of various age groups using ‘feedback cards’ with questions like ‘how well are the snack food items cooked? How could the solar ovens be improved? This feedback will be used by students to evaluate the effectiveness of their product and consider improvements for a better future outcome. Relating this back to the week's course material, this stage in the design process will encourage futures thinking, as students make changes to bring about preferred futures. 


Reflecting on the evidence provided in my Wiki page and my Blog, it is apparent that I have engaged with course materials in an attempt to develop my professional learning in Design and Digital Technologies. This demonstrates an understanding of curriculum requirements and the role I have as an educator in proposing creative solutions that enhance sustainability. With this knowledge, I have developed appropriate practical and pedagogical approaches to teaching that will be beneficial in future design projects that I run in my classroom.




References
Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority [ACARA]. (2015). Technologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment